Don’t let spooky season scare you away from celebrating sustainability. With the help of University of Kentucky Recycling, here are easy ideas for you to reduce your waste this Halloween.
- Compost your pumpkins. pumpkins and gourds that are campus can be composted. If you have some decorations or events you’d like to compost, contact UK Recycling (email@example.com) to pick them up.
- Reuse decorations. Unfortunately, a lot of spooky decorations are made of nonrecyclable plastics/material and are discarded as the holiday passes. Reuse your decorations each year to avoid waste. Bonus tip: Instead of buying new pumpkin carving tools, use knives/spoons you already have.
- Stay sustainable at gatherings. Avoid single-use products like plates, cups or cutlery at Halloween gatherings. Remember you can recycle all cans and bottles as well as paper and plastic cups on UK’s campus.
- Landfill wrappers and chip bags. Unfortunately, candy wrappers and chip bags are NOT recyclable at UK.
- Thrift a costume. For last minute costume ideas, try thrifting for a costume, re-imagining what’s in your closet, re-imagining parts from an old costume or borrowing a friend’s old costume.