If you answered yes, you aren’t alone! Working in the sustainability industry is a fitting pathway for those who desire a career that allows them to influence their community in a positive way. Careers in sustainability are diverse and can be found in almost every industry, meaning anyone, regardless of their chosen major, can find their place. The field of sustainability-focused careers has grown significantly in recent years, as business and other organizations become more aware of their environmental impact.
Did you know UK students have the opportunity to receive up to $400 in funding to help them pursue certifications in sustainability? Thanks to a partnership between the Student Sustainability Council and the Master of Business Administration Student Association, the University of Kentucky Sustainability Credential Program was created with the goal of equipping UK students to become sustainability leaders in the Commonwealth and around the country. The fund will provide up to $400 for students to achieve highly sought-after credentials in the sustainability field, including:
- LEED Green Associate
- “Boost your career prospects with the prestigious LEED Green Associate designation! LEED is the benchmark for green building certification, and having this accreditation demonstrates to employers and clients that you have certified expertise in the field. With the LEED Green Associate exam having a less-than-stellar pass rate, the value of having these extra letters behind your name is sure to give you an edge in the job market. Our webinars have been successful in helping 10,000+ students and professionals learn the material thoroughly and pass the exam with an impressive passing rate. The LEED Professional Designation has been beneficial in securing internships and jobs for past participants and now is the ideal time to add this credential to your resume.”
- Global Reporting Initiative: Introduction to Sustainability Reporting and the GRI Standards
- “With flexible learning routes to choose from- online self-paced via the GRI Academy (route A) or blended and instructor-led (route B) – our Professional Certification program provides a unique opportunity to gain expertise and global recognition in sustainability reporting with the GRI Standards. By completing the courses and the exam, you will obtain the ‘GRI Certified Sustainability Professional’ status, which is valid for two years.”
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board: Fundamentals of Sustainability Accounting
- “The FSA Credential is designed for professionals who benefit from understanding the link between financially material sustainability information and a company’s ability to drive enterprise value.”
- International Society of Sustainability Professionals: Sustainability Excellence Associate
- “Originally designed by ISSP, the SEA credential demonstrates an understanding of core sustainability concepts and best practices. SEA is designed for those who are new to the sustainability field, including students, recent graduates or professionals interested in incorporating sustainability concepts into their work.”
- Other certifications to help students meet their specific goals
If you are interested in applying for funding, simply fill out this form. Applications opened on November 8th and will be reviewed on a monthly basis until the funding has been fully allocated. Interested students should consider applying soon to take advantage of the funding so they can add to their expertise and resumes as soon as possible.
Employers in Lexington, Kentucky, America, and around the world need people who are passionate and knowledgeable about how to create a better future, and this training will help UK students be the best candidates to meet this need.
Get started on building your future career in sustainability today. Click HERE to apply!